Monday, April 25, 2011

A Ruckus of Crows



One Saturday afternoon, in the backyard of my grandparents' old house, I witnessed many crows flying about and causing a ruckus, which is, of course, normal for crows. What was so unusual this day was that there was a huge amount gathering in the sky directly over my head. I began to call back, mimicking each call like a mirror and really wondering what the hell I was actually saying. I wondered if I was enticing the fiasco of black wings in the sky. 

As my calls became more bellow-some and passionate, some brave members swooped down to closer to my head to take a closer look, perhaps trying to figure out what kind of crow I was, walking with two feet. 
This lasted for 15 minutes and they circled around. Relenting, they began to take their energy back up higher into the sky while keeping their circle in motion. At the end of this show, and as I had thought that I had seen the best of it, a bald eagle came out and swooped into the middle of the circle. It was as if Nature had set off fireworks and just released the finale!

Elated, and always open to the messages from the Spirits, I wondered if they were trying to tell me something. So a couple of days later when I had time, I decided to do a shamanic journey and ask some specific questions:

What were the huge group of crows trying to tell me Saturday? What was the meaning of the Eagle at the end of the whole event?
 
I saw the Spokesperson (the alpha crow who would often "crackle with me at my grandparents’ house in Ordinary Reality) crackle at me and say, “Come!” and then I flew into the woods, with more crows in the forest roost. They all said, “Come with us!” 

I experienced the reenactment of what happened in Ordinary Reality then traveled into the Earth to what is called the Lower World and came out on a tree branch. The crow was with me feeding me corn and stacking it all around me. I could almost not see. Next, I grew black wings and exploded out of the corn and flew up. The crows cawed with excitement and I flew with them into the sky.  As a two-legged, looking up into the sky, watching this, I heard, “They are recognizing you. Eagle has noticed you too.” 

Crow then sucked out energy from my spine – from my head to my feet. Bear emerged out of my body and tore my left leg, my right hand and head off. Owl landed and ate parts and left pellets. Crows came with so many numbers I could no longer see my body – things were just black feathers moving where my body was. Apparently, I was being shamanically dismembered once again.

I asked if it was over, but I heard the words, “Not yet – wait.” And then the tallest sunflower grew from my navel to the heavens, like images from the tale, Jack and the Beanstalk.  From the giant yellow sunflower came a blue butterfly that flew everywhere. Then a spider grabbed it out of the sky and ate it. Suddenly, a woodpecker with yellow and white wings ate the spider and flew off. Then an eagle caught the woodpecker in mid-flight and fed it to her eaglets. The eaglets messed on the ground and oak sprouts grew from those places. A mighty oak tree with mighty roots grew there. A voice said, “You are a part of everything. Grow strong.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have to love dismemberment Journeys. Sounds like it was a powerful experience for you, darling.