Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Twisted Town of Yarmouth, Maine

In other News this Week...

The Town Manager, my former employer, is trying to "buy me off"... kind of an admittance of how twisted town politics can be. He offered severence pay of 3 weeks, as well as health and dental insurance for the months of April, May, June and July 2008 (March is already paid for). I also would have to agree that I quit and was not terminated, of course (so I could not turn around once I finally have a diagnosis and sue the Town). AND I would have to sign something saying I would not contact the Press. This is because THEY KNOW they are violating the Maine Human Rights Act by terminating me while I am this ill and disabled.

I asked that he would sign a letter of reference that I would draft for a future employment when I am finally able to work again. It's all in writing and I sent it through e-mail to my lawyer.

The meeting with the Town Manager last Thursday was a tense one. He was pressing me for a diagnosis, and doubted I had a disability. He also declined to think that my termination was not anything out of the ordinary for anyone, as he would not be able to "hold my position indefinitely" until my illness was treated. He also thought the fact that my "running out of sick days and applying for short-term disability right after were quite " coincidental." I stated that I actually ran out of sick days in between and was not paid for almost one week - and that one takes sick days and consequently then needs short-term disability when they are ill - and I am!

I also brought up my boss's treatment of me, as the Town Manager accused some of the interactions as "perceptions." I argued that my boss calling me a "bitch," throwing and hitting me with something and shaking my head with her hand in my 8 months of employment with the Town were not "perceptions" but indeed, fact. I noted that I also brought those interactions or "perceptions" to his attention last September, which were not "perceived" by him as perceptions at that time, ironically.

I added that I was disappointed that such behavior was allowed and that I had never been treated like that by supervisor in my life. He stated he did "deal" with the situation after I spoke to him in September (although I stated her verbal treatment, etc. became worse, especially after I became ill) and he asked if my case was about her treatment of me or whether I was ill and disabled. I stated that it was because I was terminated while I was ill and disabled.

I will say that although I have no proof of this, I believe that my going to the Town Manager (my boss' supervisor) was threatening enough to cause my boss to want to find an "out" to terminate me. When I became ill, I believe she found a vulnerable spot and did in just that. Eh, Town Cronies. They are Evil.

He did offer a Settlement. And I asked for it to be in writing.

But I am in a "quandry" about whether I should agree to this offered Settlement or go forward with the case. Unbelievably, the Town Manager stated that he had the "Settlement Form" already filed and he just had to fill in my name and details. He stated he had been through this several times before. How despicable that they do this on a regular basis!

I do not believe what they are doing is just, but I also am quite ill, need health insurance (it's like a freaking carrot in front of me), and need to get better and go on with healing and my life. The situation contains way too much toxicity to hold onto... and that will only make me more sick in many ways. My lawyer stated I was only employed for 8 months, and it may be a more difficult case. But he does want to meet with me Thursday... Good news, I think.

I just have decided to let it all go and let the Universe take care of it for me, because my priority is to Heal. God knows I am a fighter, especially when I know things are unjust.

Part of me wants to fight because I am better than this, and part of me wants to wash my hands of it, because I am better than this...

No comments: